Soyuz-5 Soviet Space Program Uniform Patch USSR 1969

Soyuz-5 Soviet Space Program Uniform Patch USSR 1969

Soyuz-5 Soviet Space Program Uniform Patch USSR 1969
Patch. Embroidered. Souvenir.
Soyuz 5 (Russian: Ñîþç 5, Union 5) was a Soyuz spacecraft launched by the Soviet Union on January 15, 1969, which docked with Soyuz 4 in orbit. It was the first-ever docking of two manned spacecraft, and the first-ever transfer of crew from one space vehicle to another, the only time a transfer was accomplished with a space walk.

The flight was also memorable for its dramatic re-entry. The craft's service module did not separate, so it entered the atmosphere nose-first leaving cosmonaut Boris Volynov hanging by his restraining straps. As the craft aerobraked, the atmosphere burned through the module. But the craft righted itself before the escape hatch was burned through. Then, the parachute lines tangled and the landing rockets failed, resulting in a hard landing which broke Volynov's teeth.

Commander Boris Volynov  First spaceflight
Flight Engineer Aleksei Yeliseyev First spaceflight
Research Engineer Yevgeny Khrunov First spaceflight

Backup crew
Commander  Anatoli Filipchenko
Flight Engineer Viktor Gorbatko
Research Engineer Valeri Kubasov

Reserve crew
Commander   Anatoli Kuklin
Flight Engineer  Vladislav Volkov
Research Engineer Pyotr Kolodin
    Mission parameters
·                           Mass: 6,585 kg (14,520 lb)
·                           Perigee: 196 km (122 mi)
·                           Apogee: 212 km (132 mi)
·                           Inclination: 51.7°
·                           Period: 88.6 minutes
     Space walk
·                           Yeliseyev and Khrunov - EVA 1
·                           EVA 1 Start: January 16, 1969
·                           EVA 1 End: January 16, 01:15 UTC
·                           Duration: 37 minutes

Mission highlights
Soyuz 5 was piloted by Commander Boris Volynov and carried flight engineers Aleksei Yeliseyev and Yevgeny Khrunov as crew to be transferred to the Soyuz 4 for reentry. The mission plan contained scientific, technical, and medical-biological research, testing of spacecraft systems and design elements, docking of piloted spacecraft, and transfer of cosmonauts from one craft to another in orbit.

Volynov remained behind on Soyuz 5, and returned to Earth in a remarkable re-entry. The service module of the Soyuz failed to separate after retrofire, but by that point it was too late to abort. While this had occurred on various Vostok and Voskhod flights, it was a much more serious problem for Volynov, as the Soyuz service module was much larger than the small retropack the earlier vehicles employed.

When the Soyuz started aerobraking in the upper reaches of the atmosphere, the combined spacecraft sought the most aerodynamically stable position - nose forward, with the heavy descent module facing directly into the air stream with only its light metal entry hatch at the front to protect it. The gaskets sealing the hatch began to burn, filling the compartment with dangerous fumes. The deceleration, while normal for reentry, pulled Volynov outward against his harness rather than against the padded seat. Fortunately, as the thermal and aerodynamic stresses on the combined craft increased, struts between the descent and service modules broke off or burned through before the hatch failed. The descent module immediately righted itself once the service module was gone, with the heat shield forward to take the brunt of re-entry.

There was one final problem in store for Volynov when the parachute cables partially tangled and the soft-landing rockets failed, resulting in a hard impact which broke his teeth. The capsule came down in the Ural Mountains 2 kilometres (1.2 mi) southwest of Kustani, near Orenburg, Russia, far short of its target landing site in Kazakhstan. The local temperature was −38 °C (−36.4 °F), and knowing that it would be many hours before rescue teams could reach him, Volynov abandoned the capsule and walked for several kilometers to find shelter at a local peasant's house. It would be seven years until Volynov flew again, on Soyuz 21.

A similar incident occurred decades later with Soyuz TMA-11, though the latter's landing was not as rough.

EVA details
The mission had EVA objectives similar to those planned for Apollo 9. Soyuz 4 launched first, and was the active vehicle in the docking with Soyuz 5. The news agency TASS stated that: "there was a mutual mechanical coupling of the ships . . . and their electrical circuits were connected. Thus, the world’s first experimental cosmic station with four compartments for the crew was assembled and began functioning."

Moscow TV carried the cosmonauts' EVA preparations live. Khrunov and Yeliseyev put on their Yastreb ("hawk") suits in the Soyuz 5 orbital module with aid from Commander Boris Volynov. Yastreb suit design commenced in 1965, shortly after Alexei Leonov's difficult EVA. Leonov served as consultant for the design process, which was complete during 1966. Suit fabrication and testing occurred in 1967, but the Soyuz 1 accident in April of that year and Soyuz docking difficulties on the Soyuz 2 and Soyuz 3 missions delayed their use in space until Soyuz 4-Soyuz 5. To prevent the suit ballooning, Yastreb used a pulley-and-cable articulation system. Wide metal rings around the gray nylon canvas undersuit's upper arms served as anchors for the upper body articulation system. Yastreb had a regenerative life support system in a rectangular white metal box placed on the chest and abdomen to facilitate movement through Soyuz hatchways.

Volynov checked out Khrunov and Yeliseyev’s life support and communications systems before returning to the descent module, sealing the hatch, and depressurizing the orbital module. Khrunov went out first, transferring to the Soyuz 4 orbital module while the docked spacecraft were out of radio contact with the Soviet Union over South America. Yeliseyev transferred while the spacecraft were over the Soviet Union. They closed the Soyuz 4 orbital module hatch behind them, then Soyuz 4 Commander Vladimir Shatalov repressurized the orbital module and entered to help Khrunov and Yeliseyev get out of their suits. The spacewalkers delivered newspapers, letters, and telegrams printed after Shatalov lifted off to help prove that the transfer took place. Soyuz 4 and 5 separated after only 4 h 35 min together.

Add to Cart


New product
Size 110 x 75 mm ( 4.33 x 2.95 inch )

Products from section

VOSKHOD-2 Soviet Russian Space Program Sleeve Patch
Add to cart
100 x 75 mm ( 3.94 x 2.95 inch )
 Russian Federation City KOROLEV Crest Embroidered Patch Russia Space Exploration
Add to cart
100 x 75 mm ( 3.94 x 2.95 inch )
 Soyuz-1 Soviet Space Program Patch USSR 1961 KOMAROV
Add to cart
95 x 90 mm ( 3.74 x 3.54 inch )
SOYUZ-7 Soviet Space Mission Program Sleeve Patch 1969
Add to cart
100 x 70 mm ( 3.94 x 2.75 inch )
 SOYUZ-9 Soviet Space Mission Program Sleeve Patch 1970
Add to cart
100 x 85 mm ( 3.94 x 3.35 inch )
SOYUZ-10 Soviet Space Mission Program Sleeve Patch 1971
Add to cart
95 x 95 mm ( 3.74 x 3.74 inch )
VOSTOK Soviet Russian Space Program Souvenir Patch
Add to cart
100 x 95 mm ( 3.94 x 3.74 inch)
Soyuz TM-5 Soviet Space Programme Patch
Add to cart
13 x 13 cm (5.11 x 5.11 inch)
Soyuz TMA-3 Soviet Russian Space Programme Patch
Add to cart
110 x 110 mm (4.33 x 4.33 inch)
  VOSTOK-1 Soviet Space Program BOCTOK CCCP Souvenir Patch #1
Add to cart
100 x 80 mm ( 3.94 x 3.15 inch)
Voskhod-2 soviet space programme souvenir sleeve patch
Add to cart
85 x 120 mm ( 3.35 x 4.8 inch )
Soviet Russian Space Programme Sleeve Patch Soyuz TMA-6
Add to cart
95 x 120 mm ( 3.74 x 4.72 inch)
Soviet Space Programme Patch Soyuz TM-16 Mir Station
Add to cart
105 x 70 mm ( 4.3 x 2.90 inch)
© 2018 «Russian Patches» PayPal and Credit cards Accepted